CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Allergen Awareness
Please note: this qualification will be withdrawn on 28 April 2017.
More information can be found on the Voluntary Surrender of Recognition page.
Under the Food Information Regulations 2014, food business operators have a legal responsibility to provide complete and correct food allergen information to customers. These regulations apply to all catering and retail businesses that serve or sell loose foods.
The CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Allergen Awareness has been designed to help food handlers to:
- understand the impact of food allergy and intolerance
- identify, manage and control the risks associated with food allergens
- apply the principles of practical allergen management to develop good practice in the workplace
- provide allergen information, with confidence.
Who needs this qualification?
Everyone who prepares, serves or sells food in any type of food business needs to:
- be fully aware of the foods that may trigger an allergic reaction and
- know what precautions need to be taken to ensure that customers do not eat a food that they are trying to avoid.
Why is this training important?
Developing food allergen awareness is key to complying with the Food Information Regulations 2014 and improving business. Customers need to be confident that the information provided is complete and correct and the food that is served or sold is safe to eat.
On successful completion of the qualification, the learner will understand:
- The requirement to provide food information for consumers
- The importance of practical allergen management
- How to provide complete and correct allergen information to consumers
Useful links for trainers and centres